Sunday, December 07, 2014

Richard Layman Proposes Renaming 11th Street Bridges After Marion Barry







http://urbanplacesandspaces.blogspot.com/2014/12/marion-barry-ceremonial-vs-real-name.html
I don't favor a renaming of a major arterial for Marion Barry, although I'd be fine with a ceremonial renaming of a bridge--many states including Maryland names bridges in honor of politicians, soldiers killed in the line of duty, etc.

For such a name change, I'd nominate the 11th Street bridges--which connect the city, east and west of the Anacostia River, and Ward 6 to Ward 8--as suitable for renaming in honor of Marion Barry.

I concur.

I agree. Given his role with ECTC, in stopping I-95 by Catholic University of America, he played a role in disproportionately routing the freeway traffic through DC's least affluent areas.


2 comments:

resjan said...

Who is Richard Layman?

Douglas Andrew Willinger said...

click on the link in the article and find out- he is the creator of the blog Urban Spaces and Places